Applying for a faculty

The Diocese of Leeds is now using the Online Faculty System and all faculties must be completed online.  Please click here to register for the Online Faculty System; instructions on how to register can be found here.  Click here to download the training manual for the Online Faculty System and please do contact the DAC if you need any help in completing your Online Faculty application. Frequently Asked Questions about the online faculty system can be found in the help section. Please click here to access that page.

Applying for a faculty can be a daunting task, particularly if you have never submitted one before.  The DAC are always on hand to offer support and advice and please do email or ring us if you have questions.  A comprehensive list of guidance documents are available at the bottom of this page.


List B Applications

Items on List B will require permission from your Archdeacon after consultation with the DAC. Most of the Archdeacons will accept List B applications through the Online Faculty System and some will also accept applications by email. Please see below to see how to apply for List B application in your Archdeaconry:

  • Bradford - Online Faculty System or email;
  • Halifax - Online Faculty System only;
  • Leeds - Online Faculty System only;
  • Pontefract - Online Faculty System or email;
  • Richmond and Craven - Online Faculty System only.



Applications for defibrillators and external noticeboards/signage usually requires a faculty. However, the Chancellor will consider these and other minor works which do not fit into List A and B for a Dispensation from Faculty. This means that the parish apply directly to the registry for permission and do not need to seek DAC advice or display public notices. Please contact the DAC for more information on how to apply for a Dispensation from Faculty.



Since November 2019, there is an arrangement whereby the Notification of Advice on simpler and uncontentious faculty applications may be issued by the DAC Secretary after consultation with the relevant Archdeacon and DAC members or advisers but without it going to the full Committee.  This will speed up the process by up to several weeks in those cases, as applicants will not need to wait for a DAC meeting.   

Please see the guidance note in the list below (Guidance Note 8 – Delegation) for a fuller explanation of how the system of delegation works. The formal Instrument of Delegation can be downloaded: here 



Scroll to Top