Over the weekend of the 21st and 22nd September the congregation of St James are celebrating the 60th Anniversary of the consecration of the rebuilt church in Coldcotes Avenue, Leeds, 9.
On Saturday, 21st September there will be a Coffee Morning in the Church Hall from 10.30am to 12.30am.
On Sunday, 22nd September there will be a Celebration Service of Holy Communion at 10.30 am. The Celebrant and Preacher at the service will be the Archdeacon of Leeds (the Venerable Paul Ayers). Following the service there will be a buffet lunch in the Church Hall.
The first St Cyprian's, a district mission church in the parish of St Agnes at Burmantofts, opened in October 1903. It was a wooden hut on brick foundations — a 'temporary' structure which eventually lasted for over fifty years.
St Cyprian's was licensed for marriages from 1950, and the new parish of St Cyprian with St James, Harehills, was formed in April 1959.
St James's Church at Cross York Street was demolished in 1952 and the congregation moved to the new church, bringing the altar, pulpit, lectern, bishop's chair and organ.
The Church of St Cyprian with St James was consecrated on the 25th of April 1959, by the Bishop of Knaresborough, the Rt Rev H de Candole.
The Vicar at the time was the Rev Cyril O Kennedy.
The Church Hall was originally a separate building, but that was replaced by the current Hall which was officially opened by the Bishop of Knaresborough, the Rt Rev James Bell, and the Archdeacon of Leeds, Peter Burrows, on the 22nd April 2007.