A village primary school in Slaidburn, in the Forest of Bowland, has been celebrating its 300th birthday with past and present pupils ranging from 4 years to 100 years old.
Among those returning for the tercentenary celebrations at Brennand’s Endowed C of E Primary School in Slaidburn, part of the Bowland and Ewecross Deanery, was ex-pupil, Janet Clack, born in 1917, and 91 year old William Brown who performed the unveiling of a new commeoration stone seat with the school's youngest pupil, Emily, aged 4.
The village school was founded in 1717 by local landowner John Brennand who left £200 in his will for the building of a new schoolhouse in the village. He stipulated that it had to be built within a year of his death and he also left a yearly allowance of £50 for the master and £30 for the undermaster.
An open weekend took place from 19th-21st May when as well as the commemorative stone seat, a time capsule containing photographs, uniform and examples of pupils’ work was also buried. Performing the ceremony were past and present heads: Mr Nanson, Mrs Healey (present head) and Mrs Miln-Redhead.
The original school building of 1717 still serves as the school’s hall.
Pictured are the entire present day compliment of school pupils.
The celebrations will continue on Monday 3rd July with a special service of celebration and thanksgiving at St Andrew’s church, Slaidburn, next door to the school, led by the Rt Revd Nick Baines, Bishop of Leeds, to which all pupils, staff and parents past and present as well as friends of the school are warmly invited.