Christ Church in Skipton is celebrating the award of Grade II Star status for its organ under a prestigious listing scheme run by the British Institute of Organ Studies.
This recognises the historic importance of the instrument which was built in 1906 by Harrison & Harrison of Durham.
The organist, Robert Marsh, pictured, explained that in normal times the organ is used intensively for services and recitals and remains in virtually its original condition, with no tonal changes and only minor alterations to its mechanisms.
The designer was Arthur Harrison, the foremost organ builder of the age. He provided Christ Church with a versatile instrument featuring brilliant and assertive chorus stops yet also capable of ethereal string tone.
The organ is ideally placed in an elevated chamber at the back of the church, but is played from a remote console near the front.
In 1906 this was a novel arrangement requiring electricity generated by a water-powered dynamo, but now supplied from the mains.
There are 1,528 pipes of which only a small selection can be seen, enclosing the organ chamber. Christ Church is proud to receive the award.
The vast majority of organs in Britain are not listed, and of those which are, only a few receive Grade II Star.