What is Places of Welcome?
The primary aim of the Places of Welcome network is that “Every neighbourhood has places where all people feel safe to belong, connect and contribute.”
The Places of Welcome initiative is being developed by the Church Urban Fund’s Together Network and has been adopted here in the Diocese of Leeds. It is a network of small community organisations, including faith communities, who offer an unconditional welcome to local people for at least a few hours a week.
The Five Ps
- Place: An accessible and hospitable building, open at the same time every week.
- People: Open to everyone regardless of their circumstances or situation, and staffed by volunteers.
- Presence: A place where people actively listen to one another.
- Provision: Offering free refreshments (at least a cup of tea and a biscuit) and basic local information.
- Participation: Recognises that every person coming to a Place of Welcome will bring talents, experiences and skills that they might be willing to share locally.
Start your own Place of Welcome
The Places of Welcome Network offers the chance for your volunteers to join with others for support and training. You will also receive free start-up resources to help with publicity.
If your church would like to join the Places of Welcome network please contact the Places of Welcome team at Wellsprings Together on placesofwelcome [at] wellspringstogether.org.uk