All the latest CofE information about the coronavirus can be found here on a new section of the Diocesan website, plus there are examples of churches in action across our diocese – be that their livestreaming of services or stories of positive community action.
Instruments Extending Period of Office for Post Holders, Extending Period for holding APMs & APCMs and Virtual APMs & APCMs
The Diocesan Bishop can exercise powers (under section 10 of the Churchwardens Measure 2001 and rule 78 of the Church Representation Rules 2020) to extend or alter the time for the holding of meetings and elections. The Churchwardens Measure 2001 and the Church Representation Rules stipulate that annual meetings must take place by 31 May each year.
The Bishop of Leeds has signed Instruments under these conditions:
Bishop's Instruments 11 August 2020
- Extend the period of office of current churchwardens, PCC members and deanery synod lay members until later in the year
- Provides for it to be possible for APMs and APCMs to be held virtually.
Bishop's Instrument 02 November 2020
- Extends the period for holding APMs and APCMs to 31 December 2020.
- The extension of the period of office of current churchwardens, PCC members and deanery synod lay members and the holding of APMs and APCMs virtually, set out under the 11 August 2020 Bishop's Instruments, remain in place.
A copy of the Bishop's Instruments are below.
Forms for APCMs
Resources for parishes including forms for Annual Parochial Church Meetings can be found on the Parish Resources website at this link: https://www.parishresources.org.uk/pccs/apcms/
Forms for Returns after Annual Parochial Church Meetings
2020 Electoral Roll form - available below
2020 Deanery Synod Lay Representatives elections return form - available below
2020 Church Representation Rules
New Church Representation Rules came into force on 1st January 2020. These are an important tool for all those involved in parochial, diocesan and national Church governance. A helpful summary of the changes is attached below, or can be found at
An electronic version of the full 2020 edition is available at https://www.churchofengland.org/more/policy-and-thinking/church-representation-rules/church-representation-rules-online-contents .
It presents an entirely new text of the Church Representation Rules, replacing the previous Rules established in 1969 and amended numerous times over the following fifty years.
The new Rules aim to simplify local church governance and enable parishes to adapt the rules to best serve ministry and mission in their contexts. In addition, the new Rules are also designed:
• to be compliant with recent data protection legislation
• to provide for electronic communication
• to ensure better representation of mission initiatives in the Church’s structures
• to enable PCCs to do business by correspondence.
Heather Burge, EA to the Diocesan Secretary and Diocesan Electoral Registration Officer can be contacted with queries about APCMs, APMs and parish, deanery and diocesan elections (elections [at] leeds.anglican.org).