The Ministry with Deaf People in the Diocese of Leeds serves the Deaf community in the areas around Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield, Huddersfield and Ripon, and the Yorkshire Dales.
The new Minister with Deaf People in the Diocese of Leeds, appointed in November 2022, is the Revd Tracey Raistrick, currently based in Keighley. Find a video below of Tracey and the Bishop of Leeds, Nick Baines, following the announcement of her appointment.
We have other active licensed clergy in the Diocese with excellent sign language skills.
There are groups meeting in across the Diocese who worship using British Sign Language (BSL). These worship services are led by Deaf people and hearing friends fluent in BSL. We are often joined by friends who don’t sign but wherever possible we still provide access as our services are interpreted into spoken English.
There are several mainstream churches where groups of Deaf people attend and qualified, registered Sign Language interpreters make sure Deaf people can access everything.
Sign Language Services
Upcoming services, February to May 2023
- Sunday 5th February 10.30am, Christ Church, Halifax, Interpreted
- Sunday 12th February 4.30pm, Fountains, Bradford, Interpreted
- Sunday 19th February 3.30pm, Christ Church, Halifax, BSL-led
- Wednesday 22nd February 10.45am, Bradford Deaf Club, BSL-led
- Sunday 5th March 10.30am, Christ Church, Halifax, Interpreted
- Sunday 12th March 4.30pm, Fountains, Bradford, Interpreted
- Sunday 19th March 3.30pm, Christ Church, Halifax, BSL-led
- Wednesday 22nd March 10.45am, Bradford Deaf Club, BSL-led
- Sunday 2nd April 10.30am, Christ Church, Halifax, Interpreted
- Sunday 9th April 4.30pm, Fountains, Bradford, Interpreted
- Sunday 16th April 3.30pm, Christ Church, Halifax, BSL-led
- Wednesday 26th April 10.45am, Bradford Deaf Club, BSL-led
- Sunday 7th May 10.30am, Christ Church, Halifax, Interpreted
- Sunday 14th May 4.30pm, Fountains, Bradford, Interpreted
- Sunday 21st May 3.30pm, Christ Church, Halifax, BSL-led
- Wednesday 24th May 10.45am, Bradford Deaf Club, BSL-led
Sign Language Services by area
- Holy Communion held at Bradford Deaf Centre, 25 Hallfield Road, BD1 3RP at 10.45 am on the fourth Wednesday of each month or as announced.
- A BSL Interpreted Service at Fountains Church on the second Sunday of the Month at 4.30 pm. Fountains Church is located in the city centre between Little Horton Lane and Chester street, just next to the Alhambra Theatre. The church is easy to get to via public transport and is a 15min walk from Bradford Interchange. If you’re travelling by car, there are a number of nearby car parks which can be viewed here.
- Christ Church, Church Lane, Pellon, HX2 0EF provides multiple services. A Bible Sunday on Friday before the first Sunday of the month and Sign Language Led Worship, held on the second Sunday of each month at 6.30 pm. This is a well-attended and popular event serving a wide area.
- Lunch and Fellowship held at Mowbray Community Church, Westmoreland Street, HG1 5AT at 1.00 pm on the Second Sunday of each month.
- Coffee and Conversation Group. 10.30am-11.30am on alternate Mondays at Keighley Parish Office, 8-10 North Street, Keighley, BD21 3SE. Contact the Revd Tracey Raistrick for details.
- Services in Leeds are currently suspended.
- Occasional services at Wakefield Cathedral are interpreted.
Church Services with Sign Language Interpreter Support
- Bradford: St James Church, Thornton, Bradford at 10.30 am on the third Sunday of each month.
- Halifax: Christ Church, Church Lane, Pellon, HX2 0EF at 10.45 am on the first Sunday of each month and 6.30 pm on the second Sunday of each month. These events may change time or venue. Please check before travelling.
Weddings , Funerals and Baptisms
We are keen to ensure Deaf people have access to Church of England Weddings, Funerals and Baptisms in our Diocese. To secure an interpreter, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We regret we cannot provide or fund interpreters for funerals or weddings etc. not led by licenced clergy in the Diocese of Leeds.
Your Local Church & School
We want to make sure every Church is inclusive. Not only does it open the riches of the Christian Faith to Deaf people, but the use of Sign Language enhances worship, and the presence of the Deaf community enriches the Church. We are keen to establish ‘centres of excellence’ in parish churches which are interested in building links with Deaf people. We can also help schools explore the Bible and faith in Sign Language.
We welcome volunteers with and without Sign Language skills. If you can assist with helping Deaf people to travel to Church events or can offer your communication skills we'd love to hear from you. Please see the contact information below.
If you want to hear the latest news about services and events and Deaf ministry, please email email@example.com and we’ll add you to our mailing list.
For more information about Deaf ministries in the Diocese of Leeds, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org