Please find helpful documents and resources on this page for parishes, which include guidance around finances, furloughing, funerals, weddings and other life events.
To access the national Church of England Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for churches, which includes FAQs, resources and documents please click here.
A Diocesan Bulletin containing information and resources to support the work of our parishes during the COVID-19 outbreak can be found here.
Two simple explanatory posters for church doors about opening for worship can be downloaded below. An A3 version can also be found under the files list.
Safer Churches document
The Church of England has put out a new document to help churches adapt to enable safe reopening and worship. This can be found here.
Access to Church Risk Assessment
A risk assesment to help churches plan for reopening can be found here.
NHS Test and Trace
Advice on how churches can work with the NHS Test and Trace system can be found here.
Public Worship in Church
- Advice about conducting public worship can be found here.
- Advice about opening buildings for public worship can be found here.
- Advice about the administration of Holy Communion can be found here. A document discussing the distribution of the elements of Holy Communion can be found here.
- Advice about ministry and mission with children and young people can be found here.
- Advice about outdoor worship can be found here.
Guidance on Life Events in Church
The Church of England has published documents relating to weddings, baptisms, funerals, confimations and ordinations and consecrations, as well as new liturgical resources.
- Advice about weddings can be found here.
- Advice about funerals can be found here.
- Advice about baptisms can be found here.
- Advice about confirmations can be found here.
- Advice about ordinations and consecrations can be found here.
- Liturgy relating to rentering our buildings can be found here.
- Liturgy relating to prayer, lament and restoration can be found here.
- Liturgy relating to memorials can be found here.
Organists are now allowed by the government to enter church buildings for organ maintenance and practice. Organists must get permission to enter the building from the incumbent or Church Warden, and their access must be coordinated with those responsible for cleaning. If the organist will be on their own in the building then a lone working assessment should be done. An example assessment can be found here.
Guidance from the national church on opening for private prayer can be found here.
COVID-19 Emergence Mission Grants
The impact of the Covid-19 pandemic has been felt keenly by churches across the Diocese and some important aspects of church mission have been disrupted due to closure of church buildings and physical distancing. Some churches are reporting substantial loss of income due to falling receipts from donations, lettings and other fundraising activities. As a result of this, the LDBF has made up to £50,000 available to support projects that enable mission to flourish and support emergence from the disruption. A document detailing this can be found here.
Finance and Furloughing
- Here is a document the Church of England which provides information regarding the UK Government financial measures in response to coronavirus.
- The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme - a fact sheet from the Diocese of Leeds for Furloughing employees during the Coronavirus months.
- An alert from the government provides information and advice for charities about coronavirus (COVID-19) related fraud and cybercrime. Read the guidance and support here.