Please find helpful documents and resources on this page for parishes, which include guidance around finances, furloughing, funerals, weddings and other life events.
To access the national Church of England Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for churches, which includes FAQs, resources and documents please click here.
Two simple explanatory posters for church doors about opening for worship can be downloaded below. An A3 version can also be found under the files list.
Personal Risk Factors for Clergy, Church Workers and Volunteers
While it is not possible to identify which individuals will experience serious illness, long-term effects or who will die as a result of contracting COVID-19, it is important to recognise that certain groups of people are at greater risk than others. The Church of England has drawn up guidance here about which groups are most at risk.
Safer Churches document
The Church of England has put out a new document to help churches adapt to enable safe reopening and worship. This can be found here.
Guidance for virtual APCMs and AMPs
The Diocese of Leeds has produced a toolkit to help parishes run virtual APCMs and AMPs, which can be found here.
Access to Church Risk Assessment
A risk assesment for churches conducting worship inside can be found here.
A risk assesment for churches conducting worship outside can be found here.
NHS Test and Trace
Advice on how churches can work with the NHS Test and Trace system can be found here.
Public Worship in Church
- Advice on worship during lockdown, and the legal requirements for this, can be found here and here.
- Advice about wearing face coverings in places of worship can be found here.
- Advice about conducting public worship can be found here.
- Advice on risk facctors for clergy and church volunteers can be found here.
- Advice about what activities are permissible in the 3 Tier System can be found here.
- Advice about opening buildings for public worship can be found here.
- Advice about individual private prayer can be found here.
- Advice on keeping church buildings clean can be found here.
- Advice about the administration of Holy Communion can be found here. A document discussing the distribution of the elements of Holy Communion can be found here. Advice about recieving Holy Communion by simultaneous administration can be found here.
- Advice about ministry and mission with children and young people can be found here. Resources to help assist resuming children and young people activities can be found here.
- Advice about outdoor worship can be found here.
- Advice on bellringing in church can be found here.
- Advice on pastoral support in the community, including in care homes, can be found here.
- Advice on having professional contractors in church buildings at this time can be found here.
Guidance on Life Events in Church
The Church of England has published documents relating to weddings, baptisms, funerals, confimations and ordinations and consecrations, as well as new liturgical resources.
- Advice about weddings can be found here.
- Advice about funerals can be found here.
- Advice about baptisms can be found here.
- Advice about confirmations can be found here.
- Advice about ordinations and consecrations can be found here.
- Liturgy relating to rentering our buildings can be found here.
- Liturgy relating to prayer, lament and restoration can be found here.
- Liturgy relating to memorials can be found here.
Organists are now allowed by the government to enter church buildings for organ maintenance and practice. Organists must get permission to enter the building from the incumbent or Church Warden, and their access must be coordinated with those responsible for cleaning. If the organist will be on their own in the building then a lone working assessment should be done. An example assessment can be found here.
Guidance from the national church on opening for private prayer can be found here.
Finance and Furloughing
- Here is a document the Church of England which provides information regarding the UK Government financial measures in response to coronavirus.
- The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme - a fact sheet from the Diocese of Leeds for Furloughing employees during the Coronavirus months.
- An alert from the government provides information and advice for charities about coronavirus (COVID-19) related fraud and cybercrime. Read the guidance and support here.